The Value of a Good Man

Sunday is Father’s Day. In praying and searching for God’s will in writing, I came across this quote in a commentary:

“Don’t fail to appreciate the value of a good man.”

David once asked God in Psalm 8: “What is man that You are mindful of him, that You visit him? You made him a little lower than the angels, and have crowned him with glory and honor. You gave him dominion over Your works and put all things under him.”

Job asked the same question: “What is man that You should magnify him? And that You should set Your Heart upon him?”

In Genesis 1:26, we find the Trinity discussing the creating of man: “Let’s make man in Our image, after Our likeness…to have dominion over all.” So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created He him… (v27).

Let’s look at some words used in the Bible to describe some good men’s lives.

  • Enoch walked with God (Genesis 5:18-24)
  • Noah was a just man, perfect; he walked with God, and found grace in the eyes of the Lord (Genesis 6:8&9)
  • Joseph was “a man in whom is the Spirit of God, discreet and wise…” (Genesis 41:38&39)
  • God stated that Caleb “followed Me fully”, and with his whole heart (Numbers 14:24)
  • David was a mighty valiant man of war, prudent in matters, and the Lord was with him (1 Samuel16:18)
  • Naaman was a great man (2 Kings5:1)
  • The men of Issachar were men that had understanding of the times and knew what Israel ought to do (1 Chronicles12:32)
  • The men of Zebulon were men who could keep rank; they were not of double heart (1 Chronicles 12:33)
  • Stephen was full of faith and the Holy Spirit – and had an angel’s face! (Acts 6:5,8,10; 6:15; 7:55)
  • The apostles instructed the new church to find “men of honest report (good reputation), full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom” (Acts 6:3)
  • Cornelius was a devout man who feared God, a man of prayer, a good giver, just, obedient to God, of good reputation, a leader of men (Acts 10:12&22)
  • Barnabas had a kind and comforting personality and strengthened new Christians; he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith (Acts4:36)
  • Mnason of Cyprus was hospitable (Acts21:16)
  • Apollos was eloquent, mighty in the Scriptures, fervent in spirit, a bold speaker who helped believers (Acts 18:24-28)
  • Luke writes of chosen men among the brethren who had hazarded their lives for the Name of Jesus Christ (Acts 15:22&26)
  • Serguis Paulus was a prudent man who desired to hear God’s Word (Acts 13:7)
  • John Mark became profitable for the ministry (2 Timothy4:11)
  • Paul speaks of men of note among the apostles, those who laid down their own lives, men approved in Christ, who labored much in the Lord, men chosen in the Lord, and those addicted to the ministry of the saints

These are wonderful testimonies to the value of a good man.

Paul writes to Titus, giving instruction regarding the conduct of men of the church. They’re to be self-controlled, living balanced lives, disciplined in their freedoms in the Lord. They’re to be of good reputation – worthy of respect. They’re to be sound in the faith, firm and strong in biblical, gospel doctrines and beliefs. They’re to be sound in charity, having compassion that moves from head to heart to hand. They’re to be patient, steadfast, faithful in all circumstances, thinking aright (Titus 2:1&2).

Paul instructs the young men of the church to think before they act (Titus 2:6), and he instructed Timothy to set an example for other believers in every area of life – to be the standard of Christian living! (1 Timothy4:12).

“Don’t fail to appreciate the value of a good man.”

Good Christian men are vital to society, to the church, and to our families. One pastor stated that “the health of this church will never exceed the health of the hearts of its men.”

Pastor Brian Wrangler gave these statistics:

When a child comes to Christ, there’s an 8% chance the whole family will be saved. When the mother of a family comes to the Lord, the chances that the whole family will come, too, are 20%. When the father gives his heart to Jesus, the chances that that family will be saved rise to 80%!

This is borne out in Scripture: with Cornelius (Acts 10:24&44); the Philippian jailer (Acts 16:30-33); and the Nobleman (John 4:46-53), to offer a few examples.

“Don’t fail to appreciate the value of a good man.”

Good and godly men, husbands, fathers are to be prophet, priest, and king in their home.

A prophet teaches – raising children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord (Ephesians 6:4), teaching his family diligently the laws and ways and Word of the Lord from his heart (Deuteronomy 6:3&4).

A priest prays, interceding, as Job did for his children (Job 1:2, 4&5).

A king leads, as Joshua did, saying, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord (Joshua 24:15).

Good and godly men are able to say to their family, as Paul said to the church at Corinth, “Be followers of me as I follow Christ” (1 Corinthians 11:1).

God told Joshua: Stay in My Word; meditate on it day and night; obey what’s written in it  – then your way will be prosperous and you will have good success (from Joshua 1:8). This is the only time the word success is found in the King James Scriptures. And it’s connected with knowing and obeying God’s Word.

J R Miller wrote in his devotional book, “The only true success is that which makes a man rich for eternity.”  Rich toward God (Luke 12:21).

Our society, our church, and our families need good and godly men, successful men, men rich toward God, rich for eternity. Each of these men God has blessed with honor.

And may we honor them, as well. These men are worthy of honor. They are each “God’s man In His place for His purpose” (Phillip Keller).

“Don’t fail to appreciate the value of a good man.”

Perhaps the man, or men, in your life fail to measure up to the scriptural definition of a good man. Stay true to the Lord. You may yet, by the grace of God and your faithfulness, see him won to the Lord (1Peter 3:1-5). Within your circumstances, may the Lord help you to appreciate the value of your man. Each soul is worth more than all the world. That’s the value of every man. We can certainly appreciate that value.

As we celebrate Father’s Day, let’s hold the men in our lives up to God in prayer. And let’s not fail to appreciate the value of the good men in our society, our church, and our families.

Jamie Tamez

1Timothy 1:17

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s